You can now connect to play.tottoncraft.com to enter our brand new map on 1.4. With this update no items will be carried across, so that everyone starts off with nothing. And the results from the poll tells us the majority of you would like us to stay on hard difficulty.
While we are waiting for bukkit to update the server will be running vanilla. This means no plugins or other fancy stuff. Once bukkit is available for 1.4 we will promptly switch to it.
This map, like stated on here and the subreddit, will have a border limit. Exact details will be announced soon. As long as you stay on the big island you will be fine.
What about the old map? The old map will be cleaned up and hosted on the internet somewhere. We will announce it on the subreddit and on here when it becomes available to download. Price will be $9.99. (lol)
The Hardcore server has also been turned off and will be available to download if people want it.
We will go live tomorrow with 1.4, this will replace the current map with a new one using the large biome option.
More details coming tomorrow!
As a lot of people are waiting for 1.4 the server has been rather empty. We have decided to run another server in parallel until we switch over to the next update.
The objective of this event will be to stay alive and work together.
The difficulty will be set to hardcore which means…
- Enemies will do more damage
- Health will not regenerate. Only way to regain health is by using a healing potion or eating a golden apple
- The recipe for golden apples is changed (have to use ingots instead of blocks)
- The recipe for glistening melons is changed (have to use gold blocks instead of nuggets)
- If you die you will be banned from the server for 24 hours!
- Same basic rules as the normal server!
It will be live on the events server (play.tottoncraft.com:25570) at 11am EDT.
EDIT — Live now!
With 1.4 releasing soon we need to decide together what we would like to happen on the server. As with all decisions on TottonCraft, we would like everyone to have some input so that when the update rolls out nobody is unhappy or unaware of the proposed plan.
Many of us have been discussing this already on mumble and we have come up with a few scenarios. All of these will require a new map.
- Creating an island with a 2k radius with sea around it, once a new update comes out more land would be generated and a bridge could be constructed to link the lands together. The downsides of this particular plan is that it would require loads of preparation and maintenance (aka downtime). Also all strongholds etc would only be on the original mainland. The main positive is that it would be 1 permanent world and new maps would not be needed for following updates.
- A new map with a 2k radius, like number 1, but when a new update comes out we would again need a new map for new terrain features. Like the current map and the one previous the lifespan would again be a year. This plan would need no maintenance, the border would be regulated by a plugin and the live map would look sexy.
- A new map with no border limit, resulting in an ugly live map, huge trails of land that has no use and wasted disk space. But however lets players explore more.
Another point that we have discussed and one that we would love to implement is that players must work as a team, no more wandering off playing single player. Lets build a city together, roads, trade, create jobs for each other. The current main city looks amazing as it is, imagine what we could create if everyone worked together all the time.
Just like with the transition from the alpha/beta world to the current, players may bring over all resources that they have. Once 1.4 is released and installed on the server we will do 1 final backup of the current world and after a set time we will release the map for everyone to download.
These ideas are what we have discussed on mumble but if anyone else has any other ideas please comment below, on reddit or on mumble. We will listen to all suggestions.
As with all Minecraft updates we have to wait until the Bukkit team updates to 1.3. So for the time being do not update otherwise you will not be able to play on the server. If you want to try 1.3 you can always make a backup of your minecraft folder, play, and then revert back to 1.2.5 to play again on the server.
Like every update we will do our very best to update as soon as possible.
During the meeting last Saturday we all decided to change the difficulty to hard. The reasoning behind this was that the game was becoming too easy and changing the difficulty would add more challenge and excitement to the server.
The differences you will experience are that enemies will do more damage, zombies can break down wooden doors and its possible to starve to death.
Have fun and good luck surviving!